Home Forums Exam Techique – Abbreviations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

To be on the safe side – always use the term in full upfront followed by the abbreviation in brackets, then you should be safe to abbreviate, i.e. additional permitted subscription (APS)

๐Ÿ™‚

Tessa.

Tutor for Expert Pensions.

Des
    Participant

thanks

Des
    Participant

Same theory for everything else then also to be safe PSA, DA, CGT, SRB, DB, DC etc etc etc?

Tessa Roberts
    Participant

I’d err on the side of caution – if nothing else you’re showing the examiner that you know what the abbreviation stands for – I think CGT / IHT and ISAs may be exceptions to the rule as they are so well known.

Tessa.

Tutor for Expert Pensions.

Des
    Participant

That is fine thanks.

Des
    Participant

Hi Tessa. I am just checking, (to be absolutely sure) that it is quite acceptable to consistently use abbreviations throughout to save time. I know my own mindset and I would probably not be inclined to merely state โ€œAPSโ€ unless somewhere else in the paragraph I had stated Additional Permitted Subscription…..just to prove that I knew what it meant. We live in an abbreviated world and I would like to feel confident that I can always just use the abbreviation as it would save a lot of time. Quite happy if you confirm this and call me an โ€œarseโ€ ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.