About the exam
The Private Client Investment Advice & Management (PCIAM) qualification will enable professionals to demonstrate their understanding of the principles of private client investment advice, within the current regulatory environment.
The learning and exam are designed to enable you to structure a suitable portfolio, selecting from a range of financial products, which meet client objectives and are based on the key principles of ‘know your customer’. You will also be able to undertake portfolio reviews and evaluations to check that recommendations are working towards meeting client objectives.
The Private Client Investment Advice and Management (PCIAM) exam is a Level 6 single-unit certificate offered by the CISI. It is a three-hour written exam split into three sections: A, B, and C.
- Section A consists of 10 short-answer questions totalling 40 marks. This is an average of 4 marks per question. Candidates will generally need to make TWO points to gain ONE mark. Simply put: 1 mark in PCIAM = 2 marks in AF4.
- Section B is an essay. Candidates are given a choice of three questions. This is worth 20 marks.
- Section C is an AF4-style 40 mark case study. Due to the amount of work needed to gain one mark in PCIAM, candidates should liken Section C more to the 80 mark case study in a CII AF exam, rather than a 40 mark one.
Upon completion, PCIAM is an FCA appropriate qualification for the following FCA activities: 2, 3, 4 and 6, 12, 13, where combined with qualification gap-fill.
Full exam details, syllabus, past papers and info packs can be found here
About our support
Our training courses and study materials have been endorsed by the CISI. This means they have been reviewed and judged to be of high quality and relevance to CISI members. All Endorsed CPD Activities have clear learning outcomes, appropriate materials and suitably qualified presenters and tutors. We have designed our PCIAM course to compliment the study text and resources which are provided by the CISI on purchase of the exam.
The support we provide includes:
- Expansion notes to provide you with additional learning in the key areas we believe should be covered further for the exam
- Exam and past paper analysis to prepare you for the type of questions and where to focus your study
- Video tutorials to guide you through how to answer the Section A questions
- Technical videos to refresh your knowledge in areas to help you pass the exam
- Guidance on how to structure your essay question in Section B
- Mock exam to practice what you have learned and prepare you for the exam
- Access to our Investment forum where you can ‘ask our experts’ questions and discuss areas with fellow students.
Study our online course in conjunction with the study text and resources from the CISI to give yourself the best chance of success in the exam.
How do you get the best from your course?
You should browse the essential study notes alongside your CISI study text, view the video tutorials and revise the additional documents provided.
Once you have completed the study and videos you should attempt the mock exam (no cheating) and self-mark using the answers provided.
This course has been designed to compliment your CISI study materials and help you prepare to pass your PCIAM exam.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the types of questions you will be completing in your PCIAM exam
- Demonstrate how to format your answers to gain maximum marks
- List the type of questions which have been included in past PCIAM exam papers
- Identify the technical areas to focus your study
- Understand how these technical areas are demonstrated within the exam questions.